Monday, June 12, 2006

Still here...

It's been awhile since I've done a post so I thought I'd reassure folks that I'm still up and around and able to take in nourishment but have scarcely the strength of a louse (to quote a good friend of my maternal grandfather). Most of my days seem to pass in a more or less amiable fashion. In other words, I ain't got nothin' legit ta complain aboot. Quite the contrary actually!

We attended a well attended wedding near Tampa, Fla recently. It was great seeing J & F get hitched and wonderful to see so many friends, some of whom I hadn't seen in many years! We had an enjoyable trip to and from the event. We arrived home just in time to see that last dozen or so laps of the Indy 500.

Have you ever noticed how much the Human Race seems to enjoy a good race? I'll betchya there are more kinds of racing done than any three people could collectively come up with in a three hour concentrated effort to do so. Personally I've enjoyed various kinds of car racing. I remember my earliest visit to a dirt track in a place called Pacheco, Ca. My Dad and My Uncle David took me there to my first car race---I remember a blue car winning when the wheel came off the white car in the lead and the crowd cheered! I was pretty young at the time... ...the track there is gone having yeilded its real estate to the ever growing network of Interstate highways.

To this day my favorite form of car racing is Oval dirt track 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile with a class of cars named by some as Super Modifieds---some call them Outlaws. They are an open wheeled racer with a large wing on top of the car and one on the nose. The engines are usually Chevy small blocks that develop between 650 and 750 horsepower and all that in a car that barely weighs 1200 lbs! Twenty or more of these cars on a small oval dirt track make for some real adrenaline rush viewing when they get down to serious racing!

I also enjoy Horse racing. No. I don't do any bettin' on them! I especially enjoy races such as the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness and the Belmont Stakes. These being the races that make up the Triple Crown should a single horse win them in any given year. These horses can only run them once in their lives as a Three year old. In the 125 year history of Triple Crown horse racing in this country only 11 horses have won all three races and none since 1978.

There are many other kinds of racing I enjoy also, such as events held at the Family Convention at Fairwood each year, Olympic events and many others.

What kind(s) of racing do you all enjoy?

5 Comments:

Blogger drewey fern said...

Hmmm, I think my favorite kind of racing is the track and field events at the Olympics. Especially after running track for one year in high school, I am blown away by what those athletes can do. It's amazing!

6/12/2006

 
Blogger Loreo said...

Kids in three-legged contests! But the only racing I see, really, which I actually DONT like is the daily competition for William to get ALL DOORS FIRST! And he screeches cuz the other kids are faster and like to psyche him out CONSTANTLY. :)

6/12/2006

 
Blogger Nate Hazen said...

How'Dee
What’s up, how are you, what’s new? Are you all going to be up for the family convention? Hope to see you soon. er or later.

Much love from the Hazen family

6/14/2006

 
Blogger Crystal said...

Enjoy breezy running and turtle racing (they're wacky waddlers). ^_^

6/14/2006

 
Blogger Marie said...

I enjoy 3 legged races...like with Matt and Adam:) I think I've been buddied up with both of them...one time I was with Matt and he pratically picked me up:)

I love those crazy relay races...I was part of one once where I had a raw egg in my mouth...and was on the back of this big guy, piggy back ride type and because of my "canine teeth" in the front of my mouth I punctured two small holes in the egg...but it didn't open it enough to ooze...phew...but it was crazy adn fun! That's what I like.

I was also in track in 6-8 grade. One time I was running the 400 and actually passed everyone and won. It was sooo cool! The only track race I've won!:)

6/15/2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home